Sunday, March 25, 2012

Constructive vs. Positive

    I had myself convinced that my most recent blog post was only a few days ago, but turns out it's been almost a week. I wouldn't be here writing this if I hadn't gotten an email from someone saying they had read my blog (it's in my signature for my personal email). I clicked the link and decided to check things out and make sure everything was running smoothly in the blogosphere (oh my gosh, I thought that wasn't a real word, but it is!). Then, as I looked at the date of Sad Face, it said TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!! Immediately I clicked the little 'New Post' button, ashamed of myself.
     So now this brings me back here, to this post, because I feel guilty about not posting enough. I want to talk about something I've realized lately. I tend to use the word 'positive' too much, when what I really mean is 'constructive'. When we do constructive criticism in language arts class, it's not a negative thing. It's just somewhere in the middle, with a more positive than negative connotation. The first example below is a constructive thought about arthritis. The second is a positive thought.
     Ex1: "I'll get through this. It'll make me a better person in the long-run."
     Ex2: "It won't hurt a bit. I'm Superman!"
     I think if we think positively too much, then we can just set ourselves up to disappointment. But, as we talked about in my mom's sunday school class at church, if we worry too much (categorized as 'negative' in my book) then if the worst thing possible does happen, we lived it twice. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6
     The argument can be made, however, that constructive things are positive. Therefore, I have decided just to let this go. When I say positive, I am also implying constructive. When I say constructive, I am also implying positive.
     Guess what? I actually got called "opinion-less" today. Lucky me, right? The thing is, I don't have opinions on what I consider shallow questions (yes, I do realize they're just icebreakers) such as, "What/Who is your favorite food/design/artist?" I don't crowd my brain with thoughts like this. Of course, I'm not trying to say that it's not okay to have opinions on silly questions like that, I'm just throwing my own experience out there.
    My right knee hurts sooooooooooooooooooo badly today. I know that was a lot of o's. I'm trying to get my point across. I have been limping on it and I could just barely make it up the stairs. Blogging is comforting, however. The only other place I have to go today is Youth Group at my church, and everyone there is so nice about my arthritis, so I'm not concerned at all.
     Shot in approximately six hours. Yikes!

Love,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or shoot me an email - thekidwitharthritis@gmail.com I'll try to get back to you either way!