Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dance in the Rain



Thank you so much for this. It really made my day!
    I think the best part of the quote on the magnet (in case it doesn't go through on your computer, it says "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.") is that not only is it inspirational but the imagery in it is absolutely breath-taking. Most quotes just say "get through it" or something of the sort, but this quote tells you to actually enjoy the stumbles. I really, truly hope that I can live up to this. Thank to Vivian Greene for saying/writing this lovely metaphor, and thank you to the wonderful person who gave me this magnet. It's in my locker :D
    On a more negative note (it sounds terrible, I know) I have been in soooooooooooo much pain lately, especially with my knees. I was also told by my occupational therapist that because I play so many instruments, I am traumatizing my hands. I was like, "Oh, GREAT!"
    I refuse to stop playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on ukulele, songs I've been writing on guitar, and the songs "Chasing Cars" and "100 Years" on the piano. All of these songs are absolutely gorgeous, and I love giving "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that Hawaiian feel. I'm also creating a mash-up as requested by a dear friend. I decided to 'mash-up' the songs "Fix You" and "Bad Day" (I now have copyright on this, haha). They both have a pretty similar message plus they're both in the key of E flat, so that helps.
    Alright now that I'm done rambling on about music, I am going to go ahead and inform you that I am in debate club. I think I will be good at debating because A) I'm very opinionated and B) I don't give up easily. I think I will be bad at debate club because A) I tend to not be very loud about my opinions and B) I'm a much better writer than talker.
   I am not very nervous about clubs starting, but I'm not very excited either. Maybe it's part of my natural lack of excitement. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Of course, when do I not?
   My right arm from about the wrist down completely froze up on me today. I physically could not move my swollen red fingers or warm wrists. Luckily, I bring my computer to type my notes. Unfortunately, it was a fill-in-the-blank thing. I decided to just use my left hand.
    My goal for the summer is to be able to write proficiently with my left hand, that way I can be ambidextrous. If I am ambidextrous, I can just pick whichever hand hurts less. I know, it's a great plan, you don't have to tell me.
    I am reading the book "Matilda" by Roald Dahl for what has to be at least the hundredth time. I love that book like a child.
    I'd like to say thank you to a bunch of people who kind of realized the situation today when my arm was hurting really bad and stuck up for me, whether just by pretending they didn't notice or offering to help. Thank you for being so sensitive to the fact that I didn't choose to have arthritis.
    I'll be honest; I miss the days where I ran a mile everyday at recess and finished my notes before anyone else. It still takes a lot of getting used to on a daily basis. I have been struggling recently trying to decide whether it is better to fight your pain and never accept it or to embrace that pain is a part of your daily life. I have chosen the former. There will be a cure for this. I will not accept the pain because arthritis is not me. It's simply an aggravating addition. While I have gained from it, I have lost from it as well. Arthritis is not something I'm going to accept.
    It's very odd to think that my own body is attacking itself. Literally, I will have mental conversations with my immune system. It is possibly the most pathetic thing in the world, but it gets me through.
   I did another one of those poems with random words in the dictionary, and it will be on my Poetry Page. I also updated my About Me page, so make sure to check that out if you have the time.

Love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or shoot me an email - thekidwitharthritis@gmail.com I'll try to get back to you either way!