Thursday, June 14, 2012

Let's Not Relate

    Making an attempt to relate to people with chronic illnesses doesn't always help. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes I'm very appreciative and people have good intentions. Most of the time, it is a sign of a miscommunication.
    "I had that when I was a kid," or "Yeah my mom's grandma has that," or "I got arthritis when I started playing sports too," doesn't really do me much benefit. People don't understand how different juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is from injury-related arthritis, osteoarthritis, or even just regular ol' growing pains.
    Let's have a little medical lesson, shall we? A little mind refresher? 

Autoimmune diseases as defined by www.Wikipedia.org:
"Autoimmune diseases arise from an inappropriate immune response of the body against substances and tissues normally present in the body. In other words, the immune system mistakes some part of the body as a pathogen and attacks its own cells. This may be restricted to certain organs (e.g. in autoimmune thyroiditis) or involve a particular tissue in different places (e.g. Goodpasture's disease which may affect thebasement membrane in both the lung and the kidney). The treatment of autoimmune diseases is typically with immunosuppression—medication which decreases the immune response."

And a definition from www.dictionary.com:
"A disease resulting from a disordered immune reaction inwhich antibodies are produced against one's own tissues, assystemic lupus erythematosus or rheumatoid arthritis." (See that? Already making my point for me.)

Now let's get a definition for osteoarthritis (from www.dictionary.com): 
"the most common form of arthritis usually occurring aftermiddle age, marked by chronic breakdown of cartilage in thejoints leading to pain, stiffness, and swelling."

And finally, a definition from www.dictionary.com for rheumatoid arthritis: 
"a chronic autoimmune disease characterized by inflammation ofthe joints, frequently accompanied by marked deformities, andordinarily associated with manifestations of a general, orsystemic, affliction."


     Do you see the incredibly remarkable difference??????
     I'd like to think that some of you just learned something. For more information on JRA, click here.And don't worry, it opens in a new window so you can still read the rest of this too.
     People annoy me. That's terrible to say, especially since people are what much of the interesting world is made up of. I think it's more specifically people my age. I communicate and get along with adults much better. Which is not to say that I don't have friends or that I don't love my friends to death, because I do. There are most definitely exceptions. The past six sentences are probably why my teacher has announced to my class that I am an anti-social person and I did my best to talk to as few people as possible on the last day of school. 
     Oh yeah, the last day of school. I was pretty anti-emotional until the last fifteen minutes, when I got a little sad solely because everyone else was sad and it was sort of an unspoken obligation. Plus, emotions are contagious. Who could blame me? It's odd to think that it has only been a week since the last day. It seems like it has been an eternity. 


Love,
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, i have only just read my comment from you, so sorry, if i had seen it i would have replied earlier...
    It is very hard to describe to people what is going on and how you feel, have you read the spoon theory??
    If ever you want a chat, or someone to moan too or for just someone to listen to, im here..
    sending you gentle hugs (((X)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont really apprixiate the old lady comment either! One time a music teacher told us to play a song " slowly like we have arthritis" and i was like WHAt then the teacher looked at me and was like oops ! Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or shoot me an email - thekidwitharthritis@gmail.com I'll try to get back to you either way!